I used to hate St. Patrick’s Day because I hated March; cold, windy, too warm to snow but too cold to put away the winter jacket. But now I love March because of St. Patrick’s day. This has a lot to do with where I live: South Boston. The home of America’s second largest parade in the country, St. Patrick’s Day in Southie is the real deal tacky green celebration in all it’s glory. Drinks at 7am, green food for breakfast, and the Pogues blasting all day. Last year, Josh and I made Smitten Kitchen’s homemade bagels (with green cream cheese of course), but lately Josh has been on a whisky kick and I’ve always wanted to make homemade Baileys. Chocolate Pancakes with Irish Cream Syrup taste like gooey brownies soaked in Baileys. And, they’re healthy. And vegan and gluten-free. Just another reason to love March.
WHY THEY’RE HEALTHY// These chocolate pancakes are completely vegan and gluten-free. Made with mashed banana, oat flour and cocoa powder, they are high in fiber and relatively low in fat. The cocoa powder and chopped dark chocolate are very high in antioxidants, which may improve blood flow and lower blood pressure. The Irish cream syrup gets much of its creaminess from cashews. Cashews are full of healthy fats particularly oleic acid, which is the same heart-healthy monounsaturated fat found in olive oil. Cashews are also great for hair, skin and bone health due to their copper and magnesium content. The Irish cream syrup is also made with maple syrup, which is full of minerals compared to refined sugar.//
These chocolate pancakes are great with or without the Irish cream syrup. Try other toppings like shredded coconut, peanut or almond butter, jam or traditional maple syrup. Enjoy!
- FOR THE PANCAKES// ½ cup oat flour (or any type of gluten-free flour)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 banana, mashed
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (Easy Semi-Homemade Coconut Milk)
- ¼ cup strongly brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cups of chopped dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- FOR THE IRISH CREAM SYRUP// 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons raw cashews, soaked at least 4 hours, liquid discarded
- 3 tablespoons thick coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee granules
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- FOR THE PANCAKES// In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients.
- In another, smaller bowl mix together the mashed banana and the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just fully incorporated.
- Add in the chocolate chips and give another quick stir.
- Place a greased pan over medium heat.
- Once heated, add ¼ cup of the batter and cook until bubbles begin to form and pancake comes cleanly off the pan.
- Flip and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Repeat with the remainder of the batter.
- FOR THE IRISH CREAM SYRUP// Add all ingredients to a high speed blender (I used my Vitamix) and blend on high for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.