I’ve never been a huge fan of green beans. They used to be that vegetable that I ate because they were cheap at the farmers market, not hating them but never fully enjoying them. Until these roasted green beans changed my life. I don’t know why it had never occurred to me to roast green beans before, but if you’re like me and somehow missed the memo on this one, go roast some now.
In this version of roasted green beans, the beans are covered in a vinegary dill sauce, a type of pesto made with roasted almonds, dill, parsley and scallions. The vinegar makes the sauce taste more like a dressing, which is the perfect flavor for a summer side dish. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’d imagine the dill sauce would also be the perfect compliment to grilled chicken, fish (like salmon) or even steak.
WHY IT’S HEALTHY// Roasted green beans with vinegary dill sauce are gluten-free, paleo and vegan. Green beans (aka string beans) are low in calories, but nutrient dense. Green beans contain vitamin C and K as well as iron. Dill also contains vitamin C and K as well as flavonoids, such as quercetin, which helps prevent inflammation. //
- 2 lbs fresh green beans
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ⅓ cup roasted almonds
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix the green beans with two tablespoons of the olive oil, a generous sprinkling of salt and ground black pepper.
- Divide the beans between two baking sheets and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring and rotating the pans midway through.
- While the beans are roasting, make the sauce.
- Add the scallions, parsley, dill and almonds to a food processor and process until finely minced.
- Add the oil, vinegar, stock, salt and pepper and process until smooth. Set dill sauce aside.
- Allow the green beans to cool slightly. Mix with dill sauce and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.