When colder months roll around, it’s easy to trade in salads for warmer (sometimes less healthy) options, but this kale salad is the perfect cool weather meal. Because kale is pretty sturdy, it can stand up to the weight of the spicy beans and warm sweet potato spirals and hold up in the fridge. To make it a full meal, add some roasted sunflower seeds for crunch and top with a protein of choice.
WHY IT’S HEALTHY// This kale salad with lemon chia seed dressing is paleo, vegan and gluten free. Sweet potatoes are nutrient dense: high in vitamin B6 (prevents degenerative diseases), vitamin C (boosts collagen production), vitamin D (helps mood and supports the thyroid), iron (helps us resist stress) and magnesium (promotes relaxation). One serving of sweet potato also contains double the amount of the recommended amount of vitamin A. Kale is also extremely nutrient dense; it helps combat inflammation and contains vitamin K, which can help prevent against cancer. Out of all beans, cannellini beans have one of the lowest scores on the glycemic index, making them a great choice for sustained energy. //
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, spiralized
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee, melted
- 10 oz kale, torn, stems removed
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (all-natural like Frank's RedHot or Tessemae's)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- more hot sauce for serving
- roasted sunflower seeds, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a spiralizer, spiralize the sweet potatoes, toss with melted coconut oil and spread out on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake 15-25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the hot sauce and the drained cannellini beans and allow to marinate.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a small bowl (or mason jar for shaking), mix together all the ingredients. Massage the dressing into kale until the kale begins to soften.
- Add the beans and baked sweet potato strings to the kale and mix well to combine. Drizzle with more hot sauce and top with sunflower seeds, if desired.
This kale salad with spicy cannellini beans and lemon chia seed dressing was inspired by this Instagram post.