I’ve been crazy busy at work recently, which means work week meal planning is essential. Without healthy prepared lunches for the week, mornings become more rushed and workday lunch ends up being brown rice tortilla peanut butter and jelly roll-ups and string cheese. Lately, I’ve been trying to spend some time on Sunday preparing hearty salads that will hold up through Friday. This week I chose to prep shredded kale salad with tahini miso dressing; healthy, versatile and quick to prepare, this one’s a winner.
Kale goes perfectly with a creamy tahini miso dressing while pistachios, scallions, and sesame seeds give the salad dimension and crunch. This kale salad serves four as a side, but can easily be made a meal with the addition of avocado, a protein and/or rice, quinoa. etc.. For non-vegans, chicken or canned tuna would work well here. For vegans, try adding tempeh or chickpeas.
WHY IT’S HEALTHY// Kale! Kale is extremely nutrient dense; it helps combat inflammation and contains vitamin K, which can help prevent against cancer. Tahini is mineral rich containing zinc, iron, selenium and copper and also provides omega-3 fatty acids, a source of healthy fat. This shredded kale salad with tahini miso dressing is also gluten-free, vegan and paleo and can easily be made protein-rich with the addition of fish, meat, tempeh or beans.//
- ⅓ cup tahini paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- ⅓ cup water
- salt to taste
- 2 bunches of lacinato kale (also known as dinosaur kale), very thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ½ cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 4 scallions, very thinly sliced
- Make the dressing: blitz all ingredients in a high speed blender until creamy, adding a bit more water if necessary to get things moving (I used my Vitamix).
- Toss the shredded kale with the dressing and sesame seeds until well combined.
- Top the salad with pistachios and scallions (and any protein and/or grain, if using).