Everything seems better in Maine: sleep is sounder, exercise is more rewarding, books are easier to read and food is fresh, usually caught or picked that day if you know where to go.
Josh and I made the trip up from Boston for Memorial Day weekend and spent the weekend sleeping, hiking, reading and eating. Although we usually stop once or twice for the obligatory lobster roll, we tend to make dinner at home using whatever fresh seafood we can find. This weekend it was lobsters on the grill and spicy shrimp (gluten-free) pasta with broccolini.
Spicy shrimp pasta with broccolini is a super simple and flavorful dish to throw together. The sauce uses anchovies but, once cooked their flavor becomes mild and salty rather than fishy. Try them!
- 1 lb broccolini, stems trimmed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ lb gluten-free linguine (I used this brand)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb medium shrimp (raw and peeled unless you choose to grill: see notes)
- 6 flat anchovy fillets, drained and finely minced
- ½ cup fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh lemon wedges (optional)
- Bring a two medium sized pots of salted water to boil.
- Add the trimmed broccolini to one pot, cook for 2 minutes and immediately drain.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet. Place over medium low heat, add half of the garlic and the broccolini and sauté for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the pasta to the second pot of water and cook for 8 minutes, or until just "al dente."
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet over medium high heat and add the crushed red pepper, cooking for 2 minutes.
- If using peeled raw shrimp, add them now and sauté 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until bright pink (if using barbecued, simply skip to next step). Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the anchovies, remaining garlic and parsley to the pepper oil and simmer until the anchovies have melted.
- When the sauce is ready, add the broccolini, pasta and cooked shrimp to the skillet and toss until everything is covered and warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve directly from skillet with fresh lemon wedges.