Spinach and artichoke dip is another one of those things I always assumed was healthy (add it to the list of foods that have tricked me: see my post on cornbread). It’s spinach and artichokes! The healthiest dip. Obviously. Obviously, I was wrong. Usually loaded with poor quality cheese, sour cream and soybean oil-based mayonnaise, the spinach and artichokes take the back seat.
This lightened-up spinach and artichoke dip brings those veggies back to the forefront. The cannellini beans, cashews and coconut milk bring creaminess to this dip without the saturated fat and hormones found in conventional dairy (for more about our view on animal products, read our food philosophy). Serve with corn chips or crudité for the Super Bowl, though it’s also great as a spread on toasted bread.
WHY IT’S HEALTHY// Spinach is extremely rich in antioxidants, particularly lutein, which is great for eye health. Spinach also contains significant amounts of iron as well as folic acid, which is necessary to synthesize and repair DNA; humans require folic acid to produce healthy red blood cells and prevent anemia. Artichoke hearts are also a good source of folic acid and have been shown to aid digestion and raise the ratio of HDL to LDL cholesterol. //
Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites
- 1 cup scallions, chopped
- 1½ cups cooked butter or cannellini beans (or 1 15 ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (I used easy semi-homemade coconut milk)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 5 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed and stemmed
- 5 or 6 artichoke hearts (or 1 15 ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Blend all ingredients except the spinach and artichokes in a high speed blender (I used my Vitamix) until very smooth.
- Add the spinach and artichokes and pulse through (I kept my Vitamix on Speed 4), to keep some chunky texture.
- Put in an oven safe dish and bake for 20 minutes.