It’s full out wedding season and I went to Long Island this weekend for my good friend’s bridal shower. I was responsible for the drinks, so I picked up a case of wine, a case of champagne and orange juice for mimosas. Mimosas are a drink I’ve never really thought much about – I’m not a big juice or champagne person, but for some reason this weekend they were perfect.
The fresh orange juice in the mimosas made me crave more, so my sister and I made these vegan creamsicles with coconut milk and orange juice. Milk and citrus is always a weird thing at first, but using coconut milk – as opposed to dairy – makes it a bit less strange and ultimately delicious. We opted to go the pretty (versus practical) route and freeze individual layers, but this takes some time and makes the creamsicles more likely to break apart at the “fault” lines. An alternative (not pictured) would be to simply mix the coconut milk and orange juice and freeze together.
WHY IT’S HEALTHY// These vegan creamsicles are gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and vegan. Fresh orange juice is loaded with vitamin C and gives the creamsicles a natural sweetness. Coconut milk is high in medium chain saturated fatty acids (MCFAs), particularly one called lauric acid, which is anti-viral and antibacterial. Unlike other saturated fats, MCFAs are metabolized quickly in the liver and used as energy rather than simply stored as fat.//
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup orange juice (preferably fresh squeezed, or at least 100% juice, not from concentrate)
- 1 tablespoon orange or lemon zest (or mixture of the two)
- In a small bowl, mix together coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together orange juice and orange/lemon zest and set aside.
- To layer, divide ¼th of the coconut mixture into the popsicle molds and freeze until hard, about 30 minutes. Add orange juice layer and freeze again. Repeat until all of the coconut milk and orange juice is used up.
- Alternatively, simply mix the orange juice and coconut milk together, pour into the molds and then freeze until solid, several hours.