French toast isn’t something I make often for a couple of reasons. It seems complicated – more so than pancakes or waffles, though I can’t figure out my logic here – and too heavy for just an ordinary breakfast.
This vegan eggnog french toast debunks those beliefs, especially if you have some extra vegan eggnog smoothie on hand. Simply dredge some gluten free bread in healthy eggnog, lightly brown on both sides in a skillet and – done: vegan eggnog french toast.
I made my vegan eggnog french toast using the master bread recipe from Gluten-Free Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day (if you’re gluten free, get this book!), substituting the four egg whites with two flax eggs. To make the loaf, I used the gluten free flour blend demonstrated on the Gluten Free Girl blog. Any gluten free bread should work, but I’d suggest a heartier bread rather than something pre-sliced.
WHY IT’S HEALTHY// Unlike traditional french toast, this eggnog french toast is gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free, with lots of flavor. To see the health benefits of the vegan eggnog smoothie, see this post. Full of fiber, healthy fat and even protein (if you use the protein powder version of the eggnog), this french toast is healthy enough for any day of the week. //
- 1 cup vegan eggnog smoothie (bourbon and protein powder optional)
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk (optional, depending on the thickness of your eggnog)
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 4-5 slices of gluten free bread
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil for frying
- Mix the eggnog, non-dairy milk (if needed, see notes) and ground chia seeds in a large, shallow bowl. Place in the fridge to thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat a non-stick or cast iron skillet to medium-low heat and grease with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Dip each slice of bread in the batter for about 20 seconds on each side (for drier bread, leave in a bit longer - if you're using pre-sliced sandwich bread, 20 seconds should be sufficient).
- Place on skillet and cook until golden brown on the underside. Carefully flip and cook until the other side is golden brown as well - 3-4 minutes. Repeat, adding more coconut oil if bread begins to stick.
- Top with any toppings you'd like. I used coconut whipped cream, pecans and maple syrup.