Breakfast decisions are difficult for me because I want it all. My go-to is oatmeal or granola, but when I’m trying to pack in some more nutrition (or eat light before workout), I make smoothies. Usually, they’re pretty boring: frozen bananas, frozen berries, flax, protein powder, cinnamon and kale (of course).
But when Vega sent me their new Vega One All-In-One Nutritional Shake, I decided it was time to change it up. I’ve made vegan eggnog before, but I had never thought to add protein powder to it and make it a full meal. I’ve been a longtime fan of Vega, but their new Vega One vanilla shake is amazing; not only does it taste better (think more of a smooth flavor, less of the typical protein powder grittiness), but it has more protein, greens, vitamins and minerals. It is still 100% made from real, whole foods without anything artificial. Eggnog for breakfast? Yes.
WHY IT’S HEALTHY// This vegan eggnog is gluten free and paleo, packed with real, whole foods. Sweetened only with dates, it contains no refined sugars. The cashews, pecans and coconut milk add healthy monounsaturated fats that will keep you satisfied through the morning. Plant-based protein powders, like Vega One, provide essential amino acids while being vegan, free of artificial flavors, preservatives and soy. //
I’ve been omitting the bourbon in the morning (weekdays only), but it’s the holidays. Anything goes!
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- ½ cup raw pecans, soaked overnight
- 8 pitted dried dates, soaked overnight
- 3-4 cups of non-dairy milk (depending on thickness preference - I used Easy Semi-Homemade Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup protein powder (I used VegaOne Vanilla All-In-One Nutritional Shake)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric (for color)
- 4 oz. bourbon (optional)
- ice (optional, see notes)
- Soak the cashews, pecans and dates overnight (you can do this in one bowl).
- Drain the liquid from the soaked ingredients and add to a high speed blender (I used my Vitamix).
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high until completely smooth.